This sweet and tasty sponge cake layered with our Dairy Free Horchata Bars will have you shimmying in delight with every bite.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 5 eggs (divided)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 boxes Alden’s Organic Dairy Free Horchata Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Spray 2-9 inch springform pans with oil then lightly dust with flour and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine then set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Place the egg yolks in a bowl with the sugar and whisk with a handheld mixer for 1 minute, or until the mixture turns light yellow. Add the vanilla and milk then gently mix.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and gently fold together.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, add half of the egg whites into the cake batter and carefully fold until just combined. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites, being careful to not overmix.
- Divide batter into the two cake pans and bake for 28-30 minutes. Check cakes by inserting a toothpick into the center for doneness.
- Place the cake pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before releasing cakes from the pan., then allow cakes to fully cool.
- Once cooled, place one of the cakes back in a springform pan.
- Remove the sticks from the Alden’s Organic Dairy Free Horchata bars and place in a medium bowl. Allow the bars to soften for 10-15 minutes then mash with a fork until smooth.
- Spread softened bars over the top of the first cake layer in the pan.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the horchata layer then store in the freezer for 12 hours to firm up.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and release it from the pan. Cover with your favorite dairy-free frosting, or leave as-is.
- Serve and enjoy!